Tuesday, 26 June 2012
Jobs to do in June!
2. Prune early blooming shrubs
3. Take measures to destroy pests on roses, trap ants and spray against aphid on fruit trees
4. Plant out dahlias
5. Sow hardy plants on a reserve border
6. Restrict sweet peas to one or two stems.
7. Don’t allow fruit trees against walls to become dry. Shorten their side shoots to within six leaves of current year’s growth.
8. Make a final sowing of peas and French beans
9. Plant out brussels sprouts and celery
10. Keep your greenhouse ventilated, shade roof glass and moisten floors and walls.
11. Take cutting of pansies and violas if you have a greenhouse
12. Rid your lawn of daisies and plantains
13. Pick off seed-pods of rhododendrons and azaleas
14. Reduce the number of fruits on clusters on trees bearing heavy crops
15. In the greenhouse, you can place dormant bulbs in pots on their sides in a frame.
16. As the weather gets warmer pond weed can get of control. Remove this with a kitchen sieve or small net.
17. Direct sow brassicas and leeks for winter harvest
18. Deadhead flowers this month to gain a second flowering.
19. Propagate hydrangeas
20. Hoe soil to keep down weeds or pull them by hand.
-- Rob Amey